Wednesday, September 30, 2026

Finality

Yes I've essentially ignored your calls 
And the messages you leave 
When you said you didn't want to talk again 
This time I'm holding you to your own finality 

Did you think that behavior 
Had no consequence 
When you continue to break my heart 
Eventually there's nothing left to break

Somehow you heard me singing 
And assumed I must be happy
But the only reason I'm harmonizing
To other folks upbeat songs
Is I'm in a continuous state
Of trying to not fall apart 

You really haven't been paying attention
All this time and you don't know 
I don't write happy songs and when singing joy
I inject an undercurrent of melancholy 

Are you really cool like this 
With nothing stable 
And it continually gets worse 
Even if you are I'm not gonna be

Somehow you heard me singing 
And assumed I must be happy
But the only reason I'm harmonizing
To other folks upbeat songs
Is I'm in a continuous state
Of trying to not fall apart 

The irony in all of this unrequested change of course
You were the one who set that bridge on fire
Throwing any accelerant at it that you could find 
And you're still trying to submit your feelings for my consideration
When mine have always been an afterthought that finally came far too late  

No comments:

Post a Comment